FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Although the initial plans to install a Water Quality District were voted down, your Association is still working for you to ensure we have the funding needed to continue protecting Quaddick Lake's water.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE QLA? To maintain the water quality on Quaddick. The Association is not a policing or regulatory agency.
WHO CAN BE A MEMBER OF THE QLA? The owner of each property that is waterfront or has direct water access can join the Association. Fees are only $25 per year per voting member.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ADDRESSING THE INVASIVE WEED CONTROL ON QUADDICK LAKE? There is no official State DEEP program to address these issues. When State funding becomes available, the only eligible parties that can apply are municipalities, lake associations that are taxing districts and lake authorities. As a result, the Association and the homeowners around the lake must bear the burden of maintaining the water quality on Quaddick.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF THE INVASIVE WEEDS ARE NOT ADDRESSED?
1st - Excessive weed growth leads to decreased oxygen level in the water which will eventually kill fish. QLA regularly monitors the oxygen saturation in the water using equipment obtained through a grant from the New England Grassroots organization. The oxygen levels in the lake have increased as a result of weed treatment but only through proactive maintenance can this continue.
2nd - Weed growth will eventually turn the lake into a swamp preventing recreational activities such as swimming and boating. Property resale value will decrease.
HOW CAN WEEDS BE CONTROLLED?
1. Lower the water level in the off season. 8-9 feet is required to control the majority of nuisance plant infestation. This is not feasible with the current design of the dam. QLA has no control over the dam. Additionally, there is a state requirement regarding outflow of the dam. The document regarding Stream Flow Standards and Regulations can be found here.
2. Early freeze: a combination of early freeze & lowering the water level has good effect. The freeze is weather dependent.
3. Prevent introduction of invasive weeds: wash boats prior to entering lake. Most boats enter via the state park, where there is no boat wash or personnel to monitor the process.
4. Education: QLA received an education grant and distributed education packets to owners of lake front properties. Information for homeowners included using non-phosphate based fertilizers. Fertilizers run off into the lake and phosphate based fertilizers encourage weed growth.
5. Weed eating species: such as Asian Carp. The process is costly, results are variable and it is unknown how the addition of a different species of fish will affect the aquatic environment. With this solution, there is no control of the fish once they are put in the lake including ensuring they are sterile.
6. Hydro raking: Not a preferred method due to breakage of vegetation that floats and re-roots downstream but does provide seasonal control of milfoil & fanwort to the individual homeowner from the abundant weed growth and makes the waterfront usable until deep drawdowns or treatment can go forward.
7. Herbicides: After an annual survey conducted by an outside agency, herbicide recommendations are made. The treatment has to be approved by DEEP. DEEP requires 30-80% vegetation of the shoreline to maintain the environment needed by the pike. The pike are stocked annually by the State.
ARE FUNDS AVAILABLE FOR TREATMENT? Two years ago DEEP offered the opportunity to apply for grant money to help fight invasive weeds in Connecticut's lakes and ponds, and rivers. This money come from a fee which was tacked on to registration cost. There was a pool of approximately $370,000 which was available. QLA in 2021 but was not selected. In 2022 we applied again. This time we were selected. DEEP spokesperson stated this grant should be available for years to come.
If you would like to support the efforts being made to keep Quaddick Lake clean and free from invasive weeds please follow the link below to show your support. You can also pledge by hitting the donate button below.
Thank you for being involved and supportive.